Friday 30 August 2013

Jennifer Sivec

Hello everyone to the next Author Spotlight...today I have for you Jennifer Sivec

Jennifer is from Oberlin, Ohio and is married to her best friend and love, who keeps her laughing and focused. They have two energetic little sons who give them purpose and much happiness.
She is a full time working career mom, playing the delicate balance between family, work, and personal passion.
Starting at an early age, Jennifer was an avid reader, losing herself in any story she could get her hands on. Writing has been her saving grace, quieting the turmoil and making sense of the chaos, in a sometimes tumultuous life.
"Leaving Eva" is Jennifer's first complete work, and has been several years in the making. It deals with many difficult issues such as abandonment, adoption, child abuse, drug abuse, and ultimately Love. Jennifer is currently working on the sequel to “Leaving Eva” and has several other projects in process as well.
Jennifer can be contacted at jennifersivec@yahoo.com. You can connect with her @jennifersivec on Twitter, Jennifer Sivec on Facebook and Goodreads.
http://jennifersivec.wordpress.com

And now we know more about her I turned on my spotlight and shined it in her eyes while I paced around the room in a beige trench coat and trilby hat...
Do you write as yourself or under a pseudonym? Why?
I write under my own name. I think that if I were writing more risqué material that I would probably write under a different pen name. I think it would be more fun that way.
What made you want to be a published author?
Writing a book was always on my bucket list. I just wanted to share my work in the hopes that it would entertain and inspire.
What genre do you write in and why?
It’s hard to pin it down to a genre. My writing could fall under chick lit and/or general fiction.
If you could talk to your 12 year old self, what advice would you give?
12 was my awkward phase. And I mean REALLY awkward phase. I’m embarrassed to say that I had a strange aversion to bathing at that age so I had zits and greasy hair. I would tell myself to A) Bathing is important so just do it! And B) When you get older, there are going to be times that life is going to suck, but you don’t. Believe in yourself and don’t be afraid.
Have any other authors influenced your writing through theirs?
I think that every author I have ever read has influenced my writing in some way. I’ve always felt incredibly inspired after reading a book because of the magic that the Author is able to weave. I love reading various writing styles and the fact that an Author can create something from nothing never fails to amaze me.
If you are a self-published author what made you take this route and what was your experience (good or bad)?
I decided to self-publish because my goal was simply to make my book available for others to read. I have always been more of the independent type in everything that I do. It has been a great experience so far. I’ve learned a lot, met some incredible people, and have been having a lot of fun. There are so many things to learn along the way and it’s been such an amazing adventure. The only thing that I wish I would have done is to have employed an editor for my first book, which I am doing for my second.
How would you rate your writing?
I think that my writing is strong, but I know that there is always room to grow. I am excited about how this process is making me a stronger writer.
How do you react to poor reviews of your book?
So far, there haven’t been any poor reviews posted. The feedback from the reviewers has given me some wonderful and constructive feedback, but they loved the story and the style. My book is still getting out there, so a lot of people who have read it are people that I know, and I think they like me too much to tell me they don’t like it. I suppose that how I would react to a poor review would depend on what they said about it. But I know that my book or style won’t appeal to everyone and that art is subjective. I don’t like every song, book, picture, painting that is out there, but I appreciate the Artist’s willingness to share it.
What influences your choice of book covers?
The Leaving Eva cover was chosen because Dandelions symbolize loneliness and I felt it was a fitting choice for this story. In the future, I have a wonderful graphic designer who will be working with me which I am totally excited about.
How do you balance your writing with your real world responsibilities?
Sometimes I rock it out and sometimes I suck. I’ve been balancing all of my life, so it’s just another factor to consider. The writing is really for Me. It soothes my soul, it heals my wounds, and it makes me feel complete and whole. So even if I only get to write for a half an hour a day, then I’m usually good. I’ve been writing more often to try and sharpen my skills and to complete my second book. My family understands which is wonderful. But every day is a new day to try and work things out.
Do your characters drive the plots of your stories or do you plan out your plot?
I start writing with a plan and then the characters take over. I love that they do that because then I don’t have to stress out about it as much. A good friend once told me to “write what I want to read.” I try to abide by that always so I don’t typically plan things out. I trust that the characters and the process will take me to a place that I want to be.
Do you ever write what you dream? Give an example.
I haven’t so far, but I do make notes. I have some crazy dreams and sometimes they stay with me for days.
Do you market yourself or pay a professional?
I market myself. A professional wouldn’t work for what I can pay them right now (haha).
What are your tips for editing?
Take it a piece at a time, then read it through as you would if you were a reader picking up your book for the first time. Then hire someone!
What inspired you to write your current WIP or current published work?
My first book was inspired by my own abandonment as a child. T hen the characters took over and it became more than what I ever imagined it would be. Abandonment has been a theme in my own life, so it inspired me to write “Leaving Eva.” My current work is the sequel, and it provides closure to my Eva characters. I felt that they needed to have closure after everything that I put them through in book 1.
Do you prefer to write stand-alone novels or a series? Why?
So far, I have only written series. I have another series started, but shelved it so that I could work on the Eva sequel. I don’t know yet which I prefer. I think that I have some growth to do as a writer before I can answer that question appropriately.
If you could change one thing in the publishing process what would it be? 

I love the Indie route because of the freedom that it entails. I don’t think that I know enough about the entire publishing process to really speak about it with any true knowledge.
What advice would you give to a new author?
Write for you. Don’t write for anyone but you. And enjoy the entire experience! If you stress about how many books you did or didn’t sell for the day, it takes all of the fun out of it. If you enjoy the process and work hard, you have to trust that you will get there one day and then be content if you don’t.
Share a favourite quote from your book. 
Brynn she loved his hair so wavy and thick, and thought about how she loved to take her hands and just bury them in it. She used to do it every chance she got whether absently while they lounged, or intensely when they made love. She loved the thickness of it between her fingers and it gave her comfort. Brynn melted when he moaned, almost purred when she played with his hair, which made her want to do it all the more. But that almost seemed like a lifetime ago.

They were so disconnected from each other now. Had it been two months, three months, six? She was so caught up in her work and with Rose. When did we stop looking at one another? She could feel him slipping away from her slowly like the tide, gone a little at a time until he was gone completely. She felt helpless.

Abandoned as a child, Brynn is adopted into a violent and tumultuous world under the deceptive guise of a Mother's love. She accidentally discovers a secret way to survive which disguises her brokenness. Brynn is left to fend for herself, as those who are supposed to love and protect her most, fail.
In High School, Brynn unexpectedly falls for sweet, handsome Adam. He tries to teach her that she can have hope and happiness, if she only will embrace it. As an adult, it appears as though Brynn has her life together. No one except for Adam really knows her secret pain and history has an unkind way of repeating itself.
Suddenly she is faced with destroying her greatest love, and the need to confront her own fear before it swallows her completely. In the end, Brynn discovers a truth about herself that changes everything, and gives her the freedom to accept the beautiful possibilities of what life can be.

So what are you all waiting for??? Go out and buy it now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment